1) The aging process accelerates with time. For example starting at the age of 18, the average person loses 1% of collagen & elastin each and every year. By the time we reach mid thirties, the loss rate of collagen & elastin doubles to 2%. By the time we reach our 50s, that rate has doubled again to around 4%. See diagram below.
2) Much like the tip of an iceberg, our body and our skin ages every day but you may not notice these signs until they build up to a point when they suddenly become visible. It’s called the “tipping point”.
3) The truth is that vast majority of skin creams don’t deliver what they promise and in fact studies show that over time, they can actually age your skin faster. For example, Many drug store and department store brands contain nothing but petroleum by-products that make your skin feel temporarily hydrated because they coat the outside layer of your skin, but they do nothing to support the crucial collagen & elastin matrix in the dermis layer that support healthy skin. Over time these synthetic ingredients degrate healthy cell activity essentially degrading your skin faster. The fact is most big brands are aware of this, but as long as consumers continue to purchase, there is no incentive to change.
So Why Do Some Women Seem To Age Faster Than Others?
As you can imagine, the answer is not as simple as we would like. Genetics will account for about 40%. Lifestyle choices like smoking, not enough water and lack of exercise account for another 30%. The other 30% depends on the products and regimen that many people choose.
The science of anti-aging has improved so much in the last 20 years but many consumers stick to what they know. For example, take a skin cream that you can buy from your local drug store. Have you read some of the ingredients? They are basically petroleum derivatives. It simply coats the outer layer of your skin and makes you feel hydrated but it does nothing to actually address the root causes of skin damage and skin aging. In the meantime free radicals are wreaking havoc on your collagen matrix. So it shouldn’t be a surprise then that after 10 – 20 years of using that sort of skin cream your skin shows that damage.
In order to improve your chances of healthier skin:
- There’s not a whole lot you can do to change your genetics. You have been given what you have been given. Just work with it and be proud of who you are.
- Drink loads of water and get plenty of exercise. If you are a smoker – stop.
- Check the ingredients on the back on the skincare products you are using. Using products, for example, containing natural plant-based oils actually penetrate deeper and don’t simply coat the skin to give the appearance of hydrated skin. They actually do hydrate the skin. When it comes to skincare, the more natural the ingredients, the healthier the skin.